A building owner in Newport has been prosecuted for multiple health and safety failings.
In an investigation carried out by the Health and Safety Executive, it was found that untrained workers were exposed to dangerous asbestos fibres.
In a hearing, the Abergavenny Magistrates Court was told that Mr Nasimul Karbani had employed two people to help in the removal of debris and rubbish from a site at Bankside Coverack.
The debris which was supposed to be removed contained huge amounts of asbestos insulation board and these were cleaned up using an unsafe procedure.
The HSE was notified about this activity by the Newport City Council and a subsequent investigation into the matter revealed the building owner did not have a licence to deal with asbestos materials in the building. In addition, the owner failed to adopt safety measures to protect the workers from being exposed to asbestos.
The two workers who were hired to do the job were not adequately trained.
The court was told that the owner failed to hire a competent co-contractor to manage the clean-up work. A proper risk assessment was also not carried out before the work was started.
Mr Karbani pleaded guilty to breaching Control of Asbestos Regulation. He was ordered to pay a fine of £3,000, along with £3,015 in costs.