A cable manufacturing company has been fined following a severe electric shock to a worker at the company’s factory in Knowsley.
The worker suffered a cardiac arrest as a result of the electric shock and medics had to resuscitate him on the way to the hospital. The worker also sustained serious burn injuries to his hand and arms.
On 25 April 2013, the HSE prosecuted Tratos Ltd following an investigation which revealed that the high voltage testing area of the factory lacked a safety lock.
Liverpool Magistrates’ Court heard that the worker from Hindley was working in an area where cables were tested. The court heard that the voltages of the cables were up to 2000 volts.
The door which led to the testing pen could not be closed because one of its hinges had been damaged. The locking mechanism had been altered which tricked the security system into believing that the door was shut. This meant that even if the doors were open, power could still be applied to the pen.
The 28 year old worker who has chosen to remain unnamed suffered a serious electric shock as he had disturbed a cable in the testing pen.
The company was ordered to pay a fine of £15,000 in addition to £4,206 in costs after pleading guilty to failing to ensure the safety of the workers.